• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dealing with being home from Kandahar

Infidel-6 said:
I tend to think that warriors reserve the term hero -- I believe that RHFC would agree with me.

I would disagree on the restrictive definition you have here.  Putting aside the 'official definitions' when people speak of heroes they speak of people who:

- are acting above and beyond the call of duty during strenuous, dangerous or chaotic times.
- are significantly risking their indivudual life and welfare.
- perform acts above and beyond what is considered socially normal. 
- are doing something that is not their responsiblity to do.
- demonstrate characteristics that are seen as the finest in human qualities.
- are taking action while others do nothing.
- are risking their lives while performing an act not required of them.
- are acting to assist another person.
- perform a 'personal sacrifice'.

This can most commonly be referred to soldiers ('warriors') only because soldiers face the risk of death far more often than your average person, and encounter such situations freqently, and rightfully so.  But there are other persons who are not warriors (possibly warriors in spirit) that still earn this title as well.

- a man runs into a burning building and saves someone elses child.
- a doctor stays behind to treat the victims of a virulent plague despite the risk of contraction and the unlikelihood that the victims have any hope of survival.
- a nurse drives herself to the point of exhaustion while taking care of hundreds of soldiers by herself.
- a person jumps into a raging flood to save someone else who is drowning. 

Would you agree?

The key word is "distinguished" courage.  Not all who are courageous are heroes. 

Also, people talk of "heroic" actions on football fields, hockey rinks, and the like.  Let's not overuse the word, lest it lose its meaning.

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
The key word is "distinguished" courage.  Not all who are courageous are heroes.  Also, people talk of "heroic" actions on football fields, hockey rinks, and the like.  Let's not overuse the word, lest it lose its meaning.

True!  The only heroic action Ive ever heard of on the ice rink was when a player got his carotid artery sliced by a skate and would have bled to death within minutes if the Zamboni driver had not grabbed two pairs of plyers and clamped off the artery (true story!). 

Assessment = 5.5 OUT OF 9:
- are acting above and beyond the call of duty during strenuous, dangerous or chaotic times. - MAYBE
- are significantly risking their indivudual life and welfare. - NO
- perform acts above and beyond what is considered socially normal. - YES
- are doing something that is not their responsiblity to do. - YES
- demonstrate characteristics that are seen as the finest in human qualities. - YES
- are taking action while others do nothing. - YES
- are risking their lives while performing an act not required of them. - NO
- are acting to assist another person. - YES
- perform a 'personal sacrifice'. - NO, OTHER THAN MIGHT GET SUED
- BONUS QUALITY: peformed an act usually repugnant to others, or feared by others, due to blood, possible contraction of communicable diseases, fear of being close to death or other persons close to death, and unwillingness to deal with a crisis.

He wouldnt be a national hero, but that local group of people would regard him as a hero. 

GreyMatter said:
This can most commonly be referred to soldiers ('warriors') only because soldiers face the risk of death far more often than your average person, and encounter such situations freqently, and rightfully so.  But there are other persons who are not warriors (possibly warriors in spirit) that still earn this title as well.

- a man runs into a burning building and saves someone elses child.
- a doctor stays behind to treat the victims of a virulent plague despite the risk of contraction and the unlikelihood that the victims have any hope of survival.
- a nurse drives herself to the point of exhaustion while taking care of hundreds of soldiers by herself.
- a person jumps into a raging flood to save someone else who is drowning. 

Would you agree?

I think you've read way too much into Kevin's post. He is speaking from the military standpoint. Soldiers -- read "warriors" -- (well most) do not consider themselves heroes ... they are just doing their jobs. If one's a "hero", they all are.

I'd argue that a fire-fighter, police officer etc would all say the same thing.

Wouldn't you agree?

Now some of those "heros" will go on (or already have) to perform courageous acts in their lives and professions, others will never have to.

Whoa sorry guys and gals, I didnt mean to start a big debate over the meaning of hero here. In fact, I could have said what I was triyng to say better with much fewer words. Here it goes to all of you, thanks.

Hey,

You can call me a Hero if you want.  Not becasue of the injuries I received, but for having to read some of the wierdest posts at the wee hours of the Morning that I have had to bin....

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Hey,

You can call me a Hero if you want.  Not becasue of the injuries I received, but for having to read some of the wierdest posts at the wee hours of the Morning that I have had to bin....

dileas

tess

You're my hero, pisan.  ;D

Piper - I will however buy you a beer when I get back to Canada  :salute:
  Excellent post.

I was not trying to make a huge issue out of this beleive it or not.

Infidel-6 said:
Piper - I will however buy you a beer when I get back to Canada  :salute:
  Excellent post.

Thanks...  I wouldn't mind hearing some war stories from the other sand box... maybe trade up some SOPs and lessons learned over a few pints of Stella.

Infidel-6 said:
I was not trying to make a huge issue out of this beleive it or not.

Heh... yeah...  I knew where you were coming from, and I've seen it going on for a while, the time was right to 'address' the issue.

It's all good.

Infidel-6 said:
hmm it seemed to eat my reply...

I tend to think that warriors reserve the term hero -- I beleive that RHFC would agree with me.

I think its pretty self-evident what he wrote, which implies that the term of hero is reserved for warriors.  If that is not what he meant then by all means I have read too much into it.  Although only he can tell us that. 

ArmyVern said:
He is speaking from the military standpoint. Soldiers -- read "warriors" -- (well most) do not consider themselves heroes ... they are just doing their jobs. If one's a "hero", they all are.  I'd argue that a fire-fighter, police officer etc would all say the same thing.  Wouldn't you agree?  Now some of those "heros" will go on (or already have) to perform courageous acts in their lives and professions, others will never have to. 

Yes I would agree will that completely. 

GreyMatter said:
I think its pretty self-evident what he wrote, which implies that the term of hero is reserved for warriors.  If that is not what he meant then by all means I have read too much into it.  Although only he can tell us that. 

I think, unless I'm way way off base, that what he meant by "reserve" was:  Noun "Something kept back or saved for future use or a special purpose" or Adjective "Kept in reserve especially for emergency use"  in the sense that "warriors" have reservations about using the term "heroic" to describe the manner in which they do their job on a regular basis.

In simpler terms;
ArmyVern said:
Soldiers -- read "warriors" -- (well most) do not consider themselves heroes ... they are just doing their jobs. If one's a "hero", they all are.

But, like I said... could be off... but that's how I read it.

RHFC_piper said:
I think, unless I'm way way off base, that what he meant by "reserve" was:  Noun "Something kept back or saved for future use or a special purpose" or Adjective "Kept in reserve especially for emergency use"  in the sense that "warriors" have reservations about using the term "heroic" to describe the manner in which they do their job on a regular basis.

If thats the case, then I did indeed read too much into it. 

He was calling you reserve, as in rental/toon/SAS. 

That's it dukes up, fight in the mess, yehaw!

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
He was calling you reserve, as in rental/toon/SAS.  That's it dukes up, fight in the mess, yehaw! 

I have no idea what you're talking about here...

Comedic play on words RP is a reservist/militia.

Names Reservists get called;

Rental, toons etc etc...

Aw I will crawl back into the Mod attic.

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Comedic play on words RP is a reservist/militia.  Names Reservists get called; Rental, toons etc etc...  Aw I will crawl back into the Mod attic. 

Im getting an image of you as the hunchback of Notre Dame.

So, you mean 'weekend warriors'?  Dont recall hearing the other names before, possibly centric to Ontario?  Although these terms might apply to reservists I have met in the past, you're not one that I would apply them to. 

the 48th regulator said:
He was calling you reserve, as in rental/toon/SAS. 

That's it dukes up, fight in the mess, yehaw!

dileas

tess

:rofl:

Rental... fantastic. 

So... you're saying only toons can be heros?  ;D

Btw.
For those who don't know;
SAS = Saturdays And Sundays
then there's SWAT
Some Weekends And Thursdays

Back