• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Dealing with being home from Kandahar

Mike Baker said:
The human glow stick. You never have to crack it and it will always work. Only one size though. Comes with wife.
I had to Piper ;D

heh... thanks...  ;D

Oddly, I've already heard of 'the human glow stick', or at least something like it.  We use the term; "Glow stick soldier": Only works for 12 hours in the field.  In reference to soldiers who 'shut 'er down' early during an ex.

MedTech said:
*muahahaha*  ;D just watch out for your children piper. It's always the kids that exhibit the X gene. Remember, it comes form the male side of the family!  ;)

If that becomes the case, I will just have to produce a 'Weapon X'... Then sick him/her on the Taliban.
Thanks for pointing out the bright side.  ;D

RHFC_piper said:
If that becomes the case, I will just have to produce a 'Weapon X'... Then sick him/her on the Taliban.
Thanks for pointing out the bright side.  ;D

No problem! But, you have to come up with a cooler name then 'Weapons X', gotta be something like 'The Ultimate Piper' or something :D unleash the wrath and kilted furry!  ;D

unleash the wrath and kilter furry! 
Really?

Uhhh....pun intended?.....or should it be "fury".....otherwise this is more than we need to know  ;D

MedTech said:
But, you have to come up with a cooler name then 'Weapons X'
Lil' Piper? Or you could have a family of super heros. Call them The Piper Squad, and their special move will be the Power of the Pipes. Any thing better?  :D

GAP said:
Really?

Uhhh....pun intended?.....or should it be "fury".....otherwise this is more than we need to know  ;D

hahaha amended amended!

I don't mean to keep reviving this thread, but I didn't want to start a new one just to post a picture.
A friend from my section overseas sent me this picture.  It's actually a screen capture from a video he took.. Which means he actually got some of me playing on film too

Either way, here it is... September 2nd, 2006. Op Medusa, day 2.  The South side of the Arghandab river (Bazzar-e-Panjwayi), Panjwayi District, Kandahar.
From what I was told, I was playing 'The Black Bear Hornpipe' and 'Scotland the Brave' at the request of WO. Mellish, while the Video was being taken.

piperofpanjwayi.jpg

"Piper!! Black Bear!!"

EDIT: Video has been received.

BTW: Thats not 'Black bear' or 'Scotland the Brave'....  But I did play both.

RHFC_Piper: I can guess that tune in six notes!  Great video.

Cheers and congrats on the marriage, too.

Haggis

That picture is brilliant, and talk about historical reasons too!

http://heritage.scotsman.com/greatscots.cfm?id=39912005

Describes the battle of dargai, and the story of a piper.....

BTW, in the world there are only three paintings done of the battle.  When the regiment stands up, I will see about getting you to see one of them Piper.

dileas

tess

I take it you guys weren't too worried about Timmy finding your position...?  ;D

RangerRay said:
I take it you guys weren't too worried about Timmy finding your position...?  ;D

They probably thought the pipes were the cry of some Taliban hunting predator... and they would've been right!

RangerRay said:

Well... If they didn't find us when the 25mm lit them up, I don't think the pipes would have helped them locate us.  ;)

I can only hope the timmys freaked out when they heard the skirl of the horns over the panjwayi valley... even just one.

I was not sure where to post this, so this seemed appros.....

Bureaucracy gap leaves some soldiers without benefits
TheStar.com July 25, 2007 Murray Brewster CANADIAN PRESS
Article Link

Programs, services under Veterans Affairs often unavailable for months after leaving the military

OTTAWA–Soldiers returning to civilian life after being wounded in Afghanistan face the possibility of being unemployed and without medical benefits for months following their discharge because of a gap in the bureaucracy between the military and Veterans Affairs Canada.

Applications for programs and services under the new Veterans Charter are not considered until after a Forces member is released and that "typically results in a delay of several months before eligibility is determined and benefits are received," say documents released to The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

At the same time, public service regulations restrict military members who are about to be discharged from applying for priority appointments in the civil service until after they're out of uniform.

"Therefore most can expect to be unemployed for a period of time after release," said an Oct. 11, 2006, briefing note prepared for Defence Minister Gordon O'Connor.

"Both circumstances are significant sources of stress for medically releasing members."

A senior program director at Veterans Affairs said the department is aware of the gap and doing what it can to speed up the benefits approval process, especially for badly wounded soldiers.

Despite that Ken Miller of Veterans Affairs in Charlottetown said a handful of case delays have emerged since the charter – which overhauled veterans' benefits – went into effect April 1, 2006.

Miller wouldn't say how many cases have fallen through the cracks, but described it as "minimal."

The degree of the disability goes a long way in determining how quickly a case is expedited. Soldiers with less severe medical cases face routine processing.

As much as I'd like to complain about the issues with veterans affairs, I really can't as I understand (more so now) what they're going through in trying to enact the changes accompanying the new charter.  I do have some complaints about how veterans are treated (as stated in the article), but not just Afghanistan Vets, but all Vets.  When I was at the announcement of the new Charter (at the Polish Legion in Kitchener) a lot of the older vets, and not just WW2 and Korea Vets but peacekeeping vets too, were commenting on how the Charter wouldn't really help them, and then I listened to tonnes of their problems with "the system".  So, in reality, it seems like Situation: No Change... just more hype 'cause the new generation of vets are young and in the public eye.

In my own case, I can't say that I've fallen through the cracks completely yet... I've stepped in some cracks, but I'm not through yet.
VAC really can't do much for my case yet for the following reasons;
- I'm still employed with the CF
- I'm still receiving medical care from the CF (not 'medically stable)
- I'm not in need of assistance from VAC as I'm still being paid and medical is covered
- I'm not officially disabled in any way as I'm still recovering (physio)

I'm in a grey area as I have no visible disabilities... for the most part, no one sees my wounds as they're all on my legs and back... even the one on my elbow looks like it could have just been a scrape, and the shrapnel in my kidneys is tucked away from the public.  And there is optimism for recovery, but no one can tell me the long term effects of my injuries.
There are a lot of us in this "grey area"... 
As much as I hate to say it; it seems as though things would have been easier if I had just lost a limb... then it would be fairly cut and dry, instead of all the humming and haa-ing over weather or not these wounds will affect me later in life, of if I'll have a full recovery.  (I'm not trying to say those who lost limbs are having an easier time, just annoyed with the way things go.)

The worst part of being wounded in battle is not knowing what your future has in store... Physically, mentally, employment, education, financially.

Colin P said:
With all that metal in you, it must be interesting going through airport security.  :)

I have a doctors note.  ;D  (I really do... needed it to fly to St. Lucia)

Actually, the shrapnel doesn't set off the big metal detectors... just the little hand held ones, and it has to be held fairly close.
They're either in really deep or they're not all metal...  Thankfully, I found out (from the BOI meeting) that they were not using depleted uranium... so it might just be rock, or garbage or something.

RHFC_piper said:
I have a doctors note.  ;D  (I really do... needed it to fly to St. Lucia)

Actually, the shrapnel doesn't set off the big metal detectors... just the little hand held ones, and it has to be held fairly close.
They're either in really deep or they're not all metal...  Thankfully, I found out (from the BOI meeting) that they were not using depleted uranium... so it might just be rock, or garbage or something.

I never got a note for mine, luckily nothing has been set off.

Unfortunately, MIR and the likes are a nono.

What's with us Charles company folk and Metal.  Decades apart even!

dileas

tess

Back