• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Responses to "Co-op program called death sentence"

Amen!! brother.Amen!! Most never bother to honestly ask a soldier anything,about what kind of person he is,or what his ideals are. probably for the most part because they are ashamed of their own integrity or lack of.I think they would like to see the soldier has a direct contradiction to their own will,Example would be.I don't have the courage or honor to be a soldier,so therefore the path to becoming one is demeaning to me

A.C.(parkie)

I had to go looking for the article when I read this first. I am at loss for words at the thoughtlessness that the Star has shown. It is not even a well written attack on what I, and I think it safe to say that most here, believe in.

Mike, when things like this come up, are efforts made to contact the offending parties and educate them a little more? Posting here is excellent, but it's kind of like preaching to the choir (if you know what I mean).

Thanks for fighting the good fight.

I did a search on Army.ca and couldn't find the origional article.

Luckily, google happens to be a good friend of mine  ;)

http://www.canada.com/windsorstar/story.html?id=17b0353d-28bd-43d6-9df5-6019e5a8a447&k=79802

It's actually kind of painful to read...

Fleming said she doesn't know what kind of response the program had at her high school, but she's sure there are students who will be drawn to it. "People who want basic things like money and health care will end up going for it. And I'm worried that it will happen to my friends."

And what are people's motivations for becoming accountants, business analysts, telemarketers, etc? Oh, riiiiiiiiiiiiiiight.

Wow. that is one of the single most infuriating things i have ever read. What's wrong with using the military to get work experience? As a CIC type, I don't have too much interaction PRes or Reg Force guys, But i would think that the in the support trades the qualifications would be just as high, if not higher then there civilian counterparts. " And I'mworried that it willhappen to my friends." What the hell? that they'll come out with a better appreciation for living in Canada? or may be have a worthwhile job? Every one i know who has joined a military (CF and USMC) has gotten at least that much out of it. People give your heads a shake.

Not that I am a great supporter of the left winged media in Canada, however I must defend the Windsor Star with this.  What wasn't placed in the post, was the fact that the very next day (with out being pushed for it) the Windsor Star ran a long rebuttal article, and a Opinion column calling the protesters immature morons (I'm para phrasing).  There has been very few letters in the Star since then supporting these protesters.  However as ironic as it is, these protesters have their right to make their opinion known, as we afford them that right to do so.

As the unit recruiter. and having my partner in crime over at CFRC being the one mostly in contact with the public regarding the coop course, I've been following this very closely, and I would have say the Star has been giving  rather decent coverage of this, and casting the CF in a very positive manner.  In fact interest in the coop course has shot through the roof because of this.  I must thank the Star for it's free advertisement, and the protesters for proving the venue for it.

Just my $.02.

Welcome to my world.  The Windsor Star is one of the most discreditable rags that I have ever read.  To date, I have cancelled my subscription seven times in protest, but my wife wants a local news paper (they have a monopoly here) so all of a sudden it starts showing up again.  Forget about the misinformation, I have a hard time getting past the spelling and grammar mistakes. 
Remember how things are in this area,  NDP support everywhere.  Many a Jack Layton bobble head doll adorns the center piece of dinner tables here. 
They also like to pummel on police, and if it's negative, it will make it to print, guaranteed.  In a nut shell, the Star will print what sells, and they don't get all hung up on trivialities like accuracy or confirming sources.  Think of them as the Weekly World News, minus the cool pictures. 

Love793 said:
However as ironic as it is, these protesters have their right to make their opinion known, as we afford them that right to do so.

I don't agree completely, brother.  Anyone can opine, but when they are printing lies about sending high school kids into live theatres, that crap is bordering on negligent slander.  That article was a blatant attempt to frighten parents who might consider letting their kids do the co-op. 
And why print this uninformed tripe:

Grade 11 Sandwich Secondary student Brittany Fleming said she decided to attend the meeting because of how strongly she disagrees with the program.
"It's too disciplined, too scary," said Fleming about the military. "They beat it into you so you don't know what you think anymore. You're not a person anymore. You're just a machine."
Fleming said she doesn't know what kind of response the program had at her high school, but she's sure there are students who will be drawn to it. "People who want basic things like money and health care will end up going for it. And I'm worried that it will happen to my friends."

God forbid that our precious children learn that they can actually get a job and make their own money, rather than having mommy and daddy shell it out.  Pretty scary stuff for some folks.

Not going to bother to refute some of the more ridiculous points of the article, but just had to respond to the "machines" comment by stating that I'm certain I am now *more* of an individual because of the military.

Just a Sig Op said:
Not going to bother to refute some of the more ridiculous points of the article, but just had to respond to the "machines" comment by stating that I'm certain I am now *more* of an individual because of the military.

You only think that because they told you. 

Zipperhead_cop-  I agree with your view on the Star, as I said I don't have high regards for a lot of our media types.  I'm saying the article(s) weren't really that bad (from the CF view point).  Yes there was a lot of misinformation regarding the program, but that came from the tree huggers protesting the whole thing.  Yes their opinions where slanderous, and I personally feel that they don't realise that  we as as Canadians have the right to openly express our selves, however with that comes responsibility.  Unfortunately, very few people in society today realise that (take the whole Mohammed cartoons as example).  These people are ignorant.  Very similar to racist beliefs, it's beaten into them.  As the a recruiter, I deal with it on a daily basis, just as you do on the street every day, and have learned to just let them say what they want, and eventually they'll make themselves look like asses, which they generally do.

I'm just saying that the facts in post where not exactly true.  The Star did file a rebuttal article, and rebuttal opinion column the next day, that was a very hard on these protesters.  

I did however laugh my tail off at the Gr 11 kid, saying that we are mindless machines, who can't think for ourselves.  I wander what Left Wing Communist Sympathiser beat that into head? :salute:

Kent Brockman: Just miles from your doorstep, hundreds of men are given weapons and trained to kill. The government calls it the Army, but a more alarmist name would be... The Killbot Factory.

My head now hurts from reading that trash..... why oh why did I click that link.....

Speaking from the perspective of a graduate of the Co-op Program, (QL2 Co-op 9901 Hamilton), it just blows my mind... Our school totally encouraged the program. especially for students like myself who weren't really motivated at school. hrm, I guess 7 years later I'm just a Killbot, another baby killing Cog in the war machine eh? sigh...  :(

that entire article is just fallacy after another...

Piper while I agree whole heartily with your sentiment, I am sure and educated man like yourself could come up with a much more eloquent way of stating your point then "frig you" LOL

Come now, why debase ourselves to their level when we are given such a golden opportunities to raise above them and show just how un-"killbot" like we really are.

I at least know one lad who will not be on basic this summer because of that article.  One of our sons friends approached me about joining the Res this summer a couple of months ago, and we talked for about two hours.  At that point he was good to go.  Next time I saw him, post article, he had switched off of the military.  I found out his dad had blown the idea out after seeing the article and thinking his kid could get deployed just because he had been trained.  I tried to broach the subject and explain how that is not the case, but it appeared that the window of opportunity is now closed. 

HitorMiss said:
Piper while I agree whole heartily with your sentiment, I am sure and educated man like yourself could come up with a much more eloquent way of stating your point then "frig you" LOL

Come now, why debase ourselves to their level when we are given such a golden opportunities to raise above them and show just how un-"killbot" like we really are.

Hey, for your next photo shoot, try to get some Oakleys with "Kill" on one lens and "Bot" on the other.  And any NCO's or Officers running basic courses this summer, I think course t-shirts that read "Another quality killing machine from the CF Killbot Factory" would be awesome.  Hell, I'd wear one, and if they come in kids sizes, I'll buy 'em for them too. 

~RoKo~ said:
Kent Brockman: Just miles from your doorstep, hundreds of men are given weapons and trained to kill. The government calls it the Army, but a more alarmist name would be... The Killbot Factory.

:rofl:

I tried to find a sound clip of it, but to no avail (Plus I didn't spend too much time searching).
It truly is one of the best simpsons quotes ever.

I was quite surprised that they didn't mention "baby killers" in there article.  For these supposedly educated people they should know were to look before they make statements like they have.  As for the grade 11 girl's statement, she should get her head out of her behind; and realize that the only reason that she has a right to say stuff like that, is because of those men and woman who gave there lives for our freedom  :salute:.  

Just my two cents

My coop teacher has had to explain to many parent's that their son's and daughters won't be going to Afghanistan for coop next year....many still won't let their kids do it.

::)

Back