• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Responses to "Co-op program called death sentence"

pbi since joining the Navy I have seen way tomany people who should not be in uniform.  I have personally seen people who where untrainable, incompetent and lazy who were on the verges of being kicked out of the forces and yet are still in promoted today.  They played "my wife will leave me" or "I will not be-able to support my kids."  The person in question was charged months earlier for beating the wife while she was pregnant.  He is now AWOL and not expected to return, but we couldn't release him.  An other example of this would be a cook who served chicken fingers and french fries at Christmas and told the old man and his family to serve themselves.  He is still in and promoted this story is much longer as well.  I could list at least 5 to 10 more.  Now with the need to find 23000 recruits they wont fire anyone.  While infantry res I never saw these people last long but in the Navy they flourish.

:cdn:

NavyBlue: I wasn't suggesting that they don't exist: they certainly do. I have had the pleasure of tryng to fix/fire some of these people, so I know what you are talking about. I just don't believe they are in the majority, or even a significant minority. However, I will agree that "one is too many".

As far as recruiting goes, the Comd of the CFRG was speaking here at CFC yesterday. According to him, we are having no problem at all meeting our recruiting intake goals: the Army (especially the Infantry) is doing very well. (The Navy, unfortunately, is having serious problems...) The real difficulty he sees is not getting folks in, but getting them trained in a reasonable amount of time: i.e. not wasting a year sitting in PAT in Borden.

Cheers

I figure pbi and others have made some good responses but I just cant resist adding my own two cents, so coachron, here are my comments:

coachron said:
My,  but there is a lot of defensive reaction to any suggestion that the military solution is rarely a solution to anything with the possible exception of contributing to the death and injury of mainly young and impressionistic people. 
Do you read the papers? Our government does not send our troops willy-nilly around the world.  They are deployed only after a lengthy political review process of investigation and debate that usually results in our forces being one of the last countries to arrive.  This is YOUR government making a decision to deploy troops to fight.  If you don't like it, argue with the representative YOU voted for.  It is amazing how defensive anti-military proponents get when it is suggested that the government THEY voted into power is responsible for sending troops out to die or get injured; they would much rather blame a person in uniform who does not make the decision, but is willing to serve their country.  Oh and by the way, we also support national and international humanitarian and search and rescue roles, are you also opposed to those 'military' actions? 

It may or may not come as a surprise to members of army.ca that not all Canadians are quite so keenly supportive of the war making project,
How very amusing.  Every Canadian soldier is well aware of the opposition against our existence in society.  Why don't you use that vast education and knowledge you possess and explain to us a viable solution that the government can use that would successfully remove the need for any 'war-making project'?     

particularly as far as it concerns the Middle East and South Asia.   Nearly 2500 American lives have been sacrificed, not to mention 17,000 wounded, by an administration that had no cause whatsoever to invade Iraq.  Historical attempts by, for example, England in the 19th century and the Soviet Union in the 20th to invade and occupy Afghanistan suggest that there is more than a little reason to worry about Canadian Forces deployment in that country by a government that appears not to have thought much about the mission.
Quoting empire-building and the sacrifice of US lives is nice for your local anti-war demonstration, but what's your point.  We are not an invading army.  How does your criticism of the military relate to the fact that the government YOU elected 'appears not have thought much about the mission'.  You obviously have a problem with our government's decision, but instead of facing up to YOUR responsibility for electing them, you blame the military.  No serving soldier gets to vote on this issue, we get issued an order.  Every soldier in turn has the choice of obeying that order, not out of blind obedience but out of duty to their country.  Unlike most members of the general population, many members of the military are willing to risk their lives for their country, and obey a decision made by representatives of the people who were elected by the people.   

Yes, there is a place in the world for the warrior.  There also is a place for those who question whether high school is the place to indoctrinate people in the science and attitudes of war fighting without balancing that indoctrination with information that war is an outmoded method of solving problems.
This is the most ridiculous statement yet.  You state that high school is no place to indoctrinate children in the science and attitudes of war without fighting'.  Wellllll, how interesting, lets follow that thought.  Let's remove all references to war from school programs.  Lets start with history.  No need to talk about how the Greeks formed their nation and founded western civilization, or how the Roman empire was built and founded legal and electoral systems still in use today, they were all founded on warlike activities.  No need to discuss the British empire, which spawned over 20 countries worldwide, that was just war-like expansion and colonization.  No need to inform the kids about how the English fought the French for control of Canada, no need to discuss the war of 1812 with the US, no need to discuss the Riel movement,  and lets get rid of every reference to world war I and 2, or any other warlike event that affected the population and society of our country.  And geography, wouldn't want to clutter up the kids minds and explain the role that international conflict had in shaping the borders that encompass a nation.  Oh don't forget mythology and theology, cant forget all those references to wars and battles that are an integral part of our religious belief systems, or any references to the Charlemagne's unification of Europe through religious expansion.  There's the English and French languages, lets remove every word in the two languages that has any reference to war, war machines, or war effects.  Then there's also law, lets remove any reference to the Geneva convention or to war crimes.  I hope you get the point.  It's not the military that indoctrinates kids with thoughts of war, its the school education system and teachers who teach kids about war.  Whether they perceive it as a noble purpose is up to them. 

Finally, an 'outmoded method of solving problems' - what fantasy world do you live in?  War is recognized in all political textbooks as either the last act of a desperate government or a means of enforcing or supporting political will.  It is used as a tool by every government in existence today.  Unpopular, yes, but outmoded, no. 

In summary - THIS, your so-called informed opinion, is why I react negatively.  You want to dislike the military, be my guest.  But if you are going to present arguments based on poorly thought out concepts and ill-informed ideas of how the world exists and how people interact, or even on how the school system works, and most importantly, ignore YOUR role in the process, then expect a negative response.

Centurian1985 said:
In summary - THIS, your so-called informed opinion, is why I react negatively.  You want to dislike the military, be my guest.  But if you are going to present arguments based on poorly thought out concepts and ill-informed ideas of how the world exists and how people interact, or even on how the school system works, and most importantly, ignore YOUR role in the process, then expect a negative response.

Ah, that clown isn't coming back.  Just another BreaktheCommonSense member throwing out a hit and run troll post.  They know their tripe can't survive the light of scrutiny. 

zipperhead_cop said:
Ah, that clown isn't coming back.  Just another BreaktheCommonSense member throwing out a hit and run troll post.  They know their tripe can't survive the light of scrutiny. 

Yeah...you're probably right. But we were sure on a roll there, weren't we?

Cheers

At least he isnt saying 'I can make you understand...if you would only listen...'  Ack!  (Insert smiley of Billy Connelly with middle finger raised)

You are going to get stupid comments no matter ;" What happens".
This happen all the time and it sparks discontent and emotion from both sides.
I left school in 1972 and there was little education on the armed forces or advertisement.
Allot of student parents were still ex-members from WW2 or Korean Conflict. :salute: :cdn:
Most of the university types join for extra money and free training in the reserves.
I join for extra training and was hoping to get my 404 for driving heavy equipment in REECE.
We work with lots of regular forces staff and enjoy our time. ;D
I hated it when people protest the forces because they usually do not have clue one what they are talking about. ::) CF personnel are very committed to there job and very passion about how they work. :salute:
The CF has to be more proactive in the media and public to have the country under stand there objectives
and reason it is there for our well being. ;D
Unfortunatily it part of the challenge being in the business that we love to do.
My relatives had 8individuals in the CF personnel in all branchs.
My wife was army brat and I wish I had gone thru the forces instead of the Public service after 32yrs service. I have work with numerous ex forces personnel and it been a privilege at all times.

I join for extra training and was hoping to get my 404 for driving heavy equipment in REECE.

This just caught my eye:

What heavy Equipment did you wanting to drive? backhoe, elevator? or thew good old MLVW  ::)  If it is the first two you are in the wrong trade.

Edited to make change for mistake ZC pointed out  ::)

Think he might be refering to the ARV, ARVL, Wrecker and the HRT.

NL_engineer said:
This just caught my eye:

What heavy Equipment did you wanting to drive? backhoe, escalator? or thew good old MLVW  ::)  If it is the first two you are in the wrong trade.

Guys!!

No dogpiling ... read his whole post ...

He left school in 1972 (were you tykes even around then!!??  >:D) !!! He's 54. He joined the Public Service. Good on him.

Love793 said:
Zipperhead_cop-  I agree with your view on the Star, as I said I don't have high regards for a lot of our media types.  I'm saying the article(s) weren't really that bad (from the CF view point).  Yes there was a lot of misinformation regarding the program, but that came from the tree huggers protesting the whole thing.  Yes their opinions where slanderous, and I personally feel that they don't realise that  we as as Canadians have the right to openly express our selves, however with that comes responsibility.  Unfortunately, very few people in society today realise that (take the whole Mohammed cartoons as example).  These people are ignorant.  Very similar to racist beliefs, it's beaten into them.  As the a recruiter, I deal with it on a daily basis, just as you do on the street every day, and have learned to just let them say what they want, and eventually they'll make themselves look like asses, which they generally do.

I'm just saying that the facts in post where not exactly true.  The Star did file a rebuttal article, and rebuttal opinion column the next day, that was a very hard on these protesters.  

I did however laugh my tail off at the Gr 11 kid, saying that we are mindless machines, who can't think for ourselves.  I wander what Left Wing Communist Sympathiser beat that into head? :salute:

Right on my friend!  Thanks for sharing that.  I'm a firm believer that the media CAN do a fine job of balanced reporting even though some of them seem too lazy to do so.

I'd like to read the Star's rebuttal.

One journalist who is pretty balanced about what she writes is Christie Blatchford.  I think she's out of Toronto now.  But she's the author of the book "15 Days" all about troops she met while imbeded in Afghanistan.  She also manages to touch on some other things too, just through what soldiers talked to her about, like Somalia and Bosnia.  Freekin' awesome book.

NL_engineer said:
What heavy Equipment did you wanting to drive? backhoe, escalator? or thew good old MLVW  ::)  If it is the first two you are in the wrong trade.

We can get qualified for escalator?  Dammit!  I busted my ass to get on the moving sidewalk course for nothing  :crybaby:

zipperhead_cop said:
We can get qualified for escalator?  Dammit!  I busted my *** to get on the moving sidewalk course for nothing  :crybaby:

Typo

Dam auto type  ::)

Back