• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ROTP after High School Questions

Gunner_Askett said:
It would be great to get a response/responses from people who have been accepted to RMC after taking a fifth year or those who are involved in the acceptance process.

That's me! I graduated highschool in 2005, and even though I had all the prerequisites and grades to go to just about any school in Canada, I decided to stay back for an extra semester, or  "victory lap", of highschool.

With the crowd of kids I hung out with in Highschool, not many of my friends actually graduated on time, so I got to hang out with them. Further, I got to play an extra and final season of football. I knew I didn't have the size to play University ball, and if I got into RMC they don't have football at all.

Finally, and most importantly, since in grade 12 I took university level science and math (as these were prerequisites for many of the programs I was considering) I was then free to take grade 12 university level "arts" courses such as Law and Social studies. I found theses courses to be unbelievably easy, and the marks I received in them greatly increased my application average.

The point I'm trying to get across here is that you don't need to rush things. After my one semester "victory lap" I worked full time in order to save money for school (in case I didn't get accepted into ROTP). When I did get accepted, all that money I'd saved up was a real bonus. (speaking of which... where the hell did it all go?... :cheers:)

I did not feel "left behind" by taking an extra year, and when I finally made my application choices I was a lot more sure of what I wanted to do with my life.

Gunner_Askett said:
My main question is, Would I be more likely to be accepted if I took all the required courses and applied in grade 12 as opposed to spreading them out and applying in a fifth year?

Well, I don't actually know what the recruiters think, or if they have some policy of giving more points to those who "do it all" in 4 years instead of 5, but when my recruiter looked at my transcripts all he though was, "highschool student" and "good grades".

Also, you'll get to RMC and probably be drinking age. That was definitely a helper in first year :)

Having gone to university after 5 years of high school, and after having some EWAT in a recruiting centre, I can say pretty confidently that it's not an issue in the recruiting process. As Lumber said, your marks will potentially be better, and you will be 19 when you go away to school. I also thought it was an advantage because I was bigger, faster, stronger, and more mature when I went away to training.

To each his (or her) own, but for me it worked out better. I know you were asking about RMC, but ROTP is ROTP in some respects. Cheers.

I am 22 and going to Uni now. I decided to go to college after high school but quickly decided the program was not for me. Worked for a few years and here I am.

My biggest regret was not applying myself in high school to go straight into university right after. I would have been done by now !

What ever you choose will work out if you are determined.

Magic said:
My biggest regret was not applying myself in high school to go straight into university right after. I would have been done by now !

Fair enough, and I actually agree, but one year isn't going to hurt you (or him rather).

I would probably recommend doing it all in 4 years, mainly as a way to prepare yourself for the workload of a university level engineering program.

I am in science as opposed to engineering, however I have a lot of friends in engineering, and they work their butts off.  The workload of U-level high school courses is a joke compared to the engineering programs out there.  If you can't take 7 or 8 12U courses and get grades high enough to get you into university, I would be concerned about your ability to succeed in the program.

Just my two cents.  :)

boot12 said:
I would probably recommend doing it all in 4 years, mainly as a way to prepare yourself for the workload of a university level engineering program.

Even if you did take 7-8 U level courses in grade 12, I'd still recommend considering going back.

You'd be crazy not to go back if you have the chance, not only for the reasons outlined above, but to use that extra year to get involved in sports, volunteer work and extracurriculars that are going to greatly enhance your RMC application.

So you all have good arguments, and my question concerning whether taking a fifth year would make a difference in my likelyhood of being accepted was also answered. 

Lumber said:
Even if you did take 7-8 U level courses in grade 12, I'd still recommend considering going back.

Thats also a good idea, I could take all the courses I listed above and then take some other courses during my "victory lap" that I could achieve an attractive mark in.  I could also get more involved in extra-curriculars and volunteer work etc.

I'm still not for sure yet, but as long as I take all those courses next year I won't have to decide till application time. ;D

You could contact the RMC liason or the CFRC and ask if you could get into RMC and do engineering with your current education.

I asked last year, and the answer I recieved was that you'd go to prep year and get the requisite courses and then into engineering.

bms said:
You could contact the RMC liason or the CFRC and ask if you could get into RMC and do engineering with your current education.

I asked last year, and the answer I recieved was that you'd go to prep year and get the requisite courses and then into engineering.

That right there would be a much better route to take. IMHO

Magic said:
That right there would be a much better route to take. IMHO

Do you mean doing the prep-year?  Or just contacting them.  I don't really know what the prep-year is, is it like high-school courses, or introductory university courses, or what?  I'm pretty sure that I would have all the prerequisites after next year if I took the courses I have chosen.  Maybe I'll do some research on what the prep-year is.

RMC Liaison Office
tel: (613) 541-6000 ext. 6984
or toll-free at 1-866-762-2672

The Royal Military College of Canada's Preparatory Year exists to provide additional academic training for those officer candidates selected under the Regular Officer Training Program who do not have the academic prerequisites for entrance to an Ontario University (of which RMC is one). Other ROTP candidates who do meet the academic prerequisites but have not demonstrated strong academic potential but who are still felt to be superior candidates may also be offered an ROTP Junior enrollment and an initial posting to the Preparatory Year.

Prep Year is housed at Campus Fort St. Jean on the banks of the Richelieu River in St-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Quebec, approximately 30-45 minutes south-west of Montreal. The site is the former home of Le College Militaire Royale du Canada.

From: http://www.cmrsj-rmcsj.forces.gc.ca/dep-adc/index-eng.asp
The first year of college (CEGEP 1) is a preparatory year of pre-university studies. It is equivalent to grade 12 in secondary schools in provinces outside of Quebec. Quebec high school graduates are generally integrated into the Canadian military college system by completing this preparatory year of studies. Applicants from other provinces may be required to complete the preparatory year if they do not have all of the essential prerequisites for direct entry into the first year of university studies at RMCC. Students who successfully complete the preparatory year are automatically admitted to the second year of college (CEGEP 2) at RMC Saint-Jean or to the first year of university (University 1) at RMCC in Kingston.

The second year of college (CEGEP 2) is equivalent to the first year of university (University 1) in all provinces other than Quebec. High school graduates from outside of Quebec generally enter the Canadian military college system at this level. In addition to holding a high school diploma, applicants to CEGEP 2 and University 1 must possess the necessary prerequisites for the programmes in which they wish to enrol. Quebec students who have successfully completed one year of collegial studies (CEGEP 1) in an appropriate programme may also enter the military college system at this level. Students who successfully complete a second year of college studies at RMC Saint-Jean will subsequently be admitted to the second year of university (University 2) at RMCC in Kingston.

First of all a bit about myself; I'm a retired member of the CAF having served 20 years in the Navy as a Naval Electronics Technician (Communications) MOC 284.  I have been retired since 1997.  My CAF career was personally very rewarding and certainly helped me succeed in subsequent civilian career. 

Tonight I went in search of information on the ROTP program on the net and came across this forum.  I found a lot of interesting reading here and thought that some of you may be able to answer some early questions for me (us).  My daughter in currently finishing her grade 10 year and aspires to apply for the ROTP program, with RMC being her first choice.  Her degree choices have not yet been finalized, but will most certainly be in the Sciences.  And finally she is striving to obtain a career as a Pilot.

Some of the things she has done to prepare herself for this are:

- Has and continues to participate in Sporting and Physical Fitness activities. EG: completed 5 year Nancy Greene downhill racing program, a further year in the Kinder series racing and finally a year in Freestyle Skiing.  She is presently very involved with her High School track team and has participated weekly for the past 4 years with her Air Cadet Squadron sports nights.
- Very actively involve with Air Cadets, this being her 4th year.  She has applied for two 6 weeks Scholarship camps this summer, both being held in Ontario.  Her first choice is an Aircraft Maintenance Course and the second choice is an Airport Operations Course.  She completed her boards for both these course in mid February.
- As an aspiring Pilot, she has taken to the skies early having already soloed and is currently working toward the completion of her Private Pilot’s License requirements.
- She is currently working in the Aviation industry on the weekends with a local Aviation Company.  Here she does reception, booking, plane rentals, etc.
- And finally her academic achievements to date.  I couldn’t be more proud as a father.  She maintains excellent marks (last semesters average was 91%).  She is having a bit of trouble with her Math (AP) this semester so we are enlisting the help of a Tudor in this area.  Her mid semester mark is currently at 80% and she is certainly not happy with this.

W have the following questions that some of you out there maybe able to answer for us.  These are:

- Can she make application for the ROTP program after completion of grade 11?
- If so, what is the application deadline (She will graduate in June 2011)?
- It appears from this forum that some applicants have been successful in getting into the Pilot program based on the new vision requirements.  My daughter does wear glasses and is 20:40.  Are there any successful Pilot applicants out there who required vision correction?
- Any tips of what she might not be doing at the moment that would help her chances of success?

In closing I would like to thank you all for taking your time out to read this and provide any direction you can based on your personal experiences with your applications.

I personally wish each and every one of you young men and ladies every success in your Military Careers.  I am confident you will find the lifestyle challenging but very rewarding.

Many Thanks,

:cdn:  :yellow: :yellow:  :salute:Andrew  :salute: :yellow: :yellow:  :cdn:

Hi Andrew. You're daughter can apply already if she is 16 years of age or older. (I'm nearly positive on that). So that means the sooner the better to apply, which can get rid of a nice chunk of paperwork. I can't really help on the vision question since I have no idea myself, but I can assure you, she is doing very well so far, and if she continues down the path she is on now, she'll do wonders.

Hope that clears it up a bit more for you.

Cheers
Frosty

Thanks Frosty.  That is information I was not aware of.  We will check this out at the Edmonton office.

Cheers,

Andrew

As far as beefing up what already looks like a strong application, what does she do as far as volunteer work?  That is a fairly important factor that the selection boards look for.

Amspence,

Sounds like she has a strong app! Has she decided on preference for RMC vice Civvy U?

A shameless plug for my own program: http://forums.air-force.ca/forums/threads/71815.0.html

I strongly consider her to take a look.

Boot12,

Tks.  Just doesn't seem to be a lot of time in the day.  Most of her volunteer efforts are through the Cadet program (IE: Community cleanup, attending annual events in uniform to clean up, etc.)  We'll work on looking at opportunities in this area.

Andrew

Benny88,

She is intent on attending RMC.  Your link suggests that she can make application to attend Civu (Ontario), get a degree and still further her flying at the same time.  Is this correct.

Tks

Andrew

Amspence said:
Benny88,

She is intent on attending RMC.  Your link suggests that she can make application to attend Civu (Ontario), get a degree and still further her flying at the same time.  Is this correct.

Tks

Andrew

Yes. Students in this program earn their PPL (She will be credited for any significant hours already flown provided she can produce an up to date log book) Commercial Pilots License, Multi-Engine rating, and Group 1 instrument rating over the 4 years.
  I won't clutter another thread with my pitches, the docs on the other thread should answer most general questions, post or PM me if you have specific ones they don't address.
  RMC is a good experience and an excellent institution, but I think she would be amiss to not consider other options.

Cheers,
benny

Back