• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

The Capt. Trevor Greene Thread

Canadian Captain comes through surgery
Mar, 07 2006 - 12:50 AM

LANDSTUHL, GERMANY/CKNW(AM980) - The Canadian Military says Captain Trevor Greene was seriously hurt on Saturday when a young man identified as a Taliban militant struck him in the head with an axe while he was speaking with Afghan villagers.

Canadian Medical Officer, Major Nick Withers says Greene's condition has improved somewhat. He says Greene is in a medically induced coma.

Withers says his job now is to arrange transport home for the other wounded Canadians, "The other three individuals who have been injured. So, we're certainly concentrating on that as we're hoping to get them home in a day or two, including Private Miguel Chavez who we're hoping to return to Vancouver again in the next couple of days."

This morning, an Afghan elder is disputing Canada's claim that Greene was attacked by a 16 year old member of the Taliban.

Well I spoke to some of the guys involved and on the periphery of the incident today  -- 110% JOB GUYS  :salute:

That is a nasty nasty AO.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_PrintFriendly&c=Article&cid=1141858212482

`He's fighting, he's coming back'
Family keeps bedside vigil after axe attack

Canadian soldier may go home soon, MD says
Mar. 9, 2006. 01:00 AM
SANDRO CONTENTA
EUROPEAN BUREAU

LANDSTUHL, Germany—Capt. Trevor Greene never gave up on people in need, and his family aren't about to give up on him.

The 41-year-old Canadian soldier, one of 2,200 on a mission to secure and rebuild southern Afghanistan, has been in a medically induced coma with severe head injuries since an Afghan attacked him with an axe near Kandahar on Saturday. His family have been at his bedside at the U.S. military hospital here since Tuesday, reading him messages of support from across Canada.

If love could heal, the officer would be back on his feet in no time.

"We just keep talking to him. We know he's hearing us. He's fighting, and he's coming back," said Greene's father, Richard.

"He'll be mad as hell when he wakes up and realizes he can't be in Afghanistan," Richard Greene, 68, added in an interview. "But once he gets back on his feet, there will be other ways for him to serve people."

A retired RCMP staff sergeant, Richard Greene was pleased to speak of his son's accomplishments, first as a journalist and later as a soldier. But at times he broke down, banging the arm of his chair or burying his forehead in his hand.

"He'll pull though. He's going to make it. He's a lot stronger than I am, I tell you," he said. "We just love him to death and support him totally. And we will continue to do so. He'll come back."

Richard Greene lives in Nova Scotia but he and his wife, Elizabeth, got the news of the attack on their son while in Florida, where they spend the winter months. Trevor Greene's wife and his 14-month-old daughter, Grace Elizabeth, came from their home in Vancouver, and his sister Suzanne travelled from her home in Oakville. They'll stay by Trevor's side until he's allowed to travel home.

Dr. Catherine Gray, with the Canadian military, said that could be within seven to 10 days. She said Greene's condition has improved from critical to serious but stable.

"He's made slow but progressive movements forward in terms of his neurologic status," she said in an interview. Today the big news is that he opened his eyes to stimulation. It was an involuntary reflex but medically speaking that is definitely a step forward," she said, adding he also moves his limbs when stimulated.

"We're optimistic and pleased with the progress. It's extremely difficult with head injuries to foresee the future, but it's definitely a step forward," Gray said. Trevor Greene is being "assisted" by life support equipment and would die without it, Gray said. But "his basic functions are starting to come back," she added.

The big concern now is the potential for infection caused by the blow from the non-sterile axe, Gray said.

"It was a very direct and a very severe hit," she said.

The attack hasn't diminished Richard Greene's support for the mission in Afghanistan. And he hopes Canadians won't second-guess the need for Canadian forces there if casualties mount.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
` He's going to make it.

He's a lot stronger

than I am, I tell you.'

Richard Greene, soldier's father

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Afghan people need the help. That's why Canadians must continue with this bloody operation. Those people who do not understand what this whole mission is about had best find out. If they had the information, they'd be much more supportive," he said.

Trevor Greene, an officer in the Canadian forces' Civil-Military Co-operation unit, was sitting with tribal leaders in a destitute village, jotting their needs in a notebook, when an axe-wielding 16-year-old struck him on the head. The youth was immediately shot dead by Canadian soldiers.

The Canadian military has said the teenager was a member of the Taliban, the regime that harboured Osama bin Laden before being ousted in a U.S.-led war. But one tribal elder has denied the Taliban connection, claiming the boy was angry at heavy-handed tactics used by coalition and Afghan army units during search operations.

Richard Greene said Canadian soldiers providing security at the meeting were "blindsided" by an attack that was "totally and completely unforeseen."

"How in the heck can you foresee this? This incident will cause (Canadian forces) to perhaps approach the whole situation differently," he said.

He said he feels no anger towards the Afghan youth who attacked his son and even "said a prayer for him."

"I feel bad for the young lad who did this. He came from a family as well. His background has been war and that's all he knows. He probably didn't even know what Trevor was trying to do or what Canadians are trying to do."

Trevor Greene began his career as a journalist in Japan, where he wrote a book about the country's homeless. In the mid 1990s, he joined the navy before returning to journalism and writing a book about Vancouver's prostitutes. In 1998, he joined the army.

A military tradition runs in the Greene family, including two uncles who fought in World War II.

"He grew up with the tradition of attending Remembrance Day ceremonies and visiting the Cenotaph in Ottawa," Richard Greene said. "He also watched every war movie that was ever made and read every war book ever written."

He was aware the Afghan mission was a risky one, but was determined to do what he could to help rebuild the country, his father said. Trevor Greene left for Afghanistan at the end of January.

He was promoted Sunday from lieutenant to captain while in a coma at the Landstuhl hospital.

Under an agreement with the U.S., Canadian soldiers injured in Afghanistan are evacuated to the Landstuhl hospital for treatment before being transferred to Canada. In the last four months, about a dozen Canadian soldiers have been treated at Landstuhl, some of them for non-combat illnesses.

Three Canadian soldiers flew into Edmonton from the hospital in Landstuhl yesterday. Sgt. Darren Haggerty, of London, Ont., and Pte. Miguel Chavez, originally from San Salvador, were injured when their vehicle overturned in southern Afghanistan. Master Corporal Michael Loewen was injured during a suicide bomb attack. Loewen will undergo reconstructive surgery at the University of Alberta Hospital to save his arm.

Trevor Greene is the only Canadian soldier left at the hospital. His father is effusive in his praise for the care U.S. doctors are giving his son, and the accurate media coverage of the attack.

"The coverage that the Toronto Star gave on Sunday was just absolutely phenomenal. We really, really appreciated it," he said, praising the work of Star correspondent Mitch Potter and photographer Rick Madonik, both of whom are in southern Afghanistan.

big bad john said:
Trevor Greene is the only Canadian soldier left at the hospital. His father is effusive in his praise for the care U.S. doctors are giving his son, and the accurate media coverage of the attack.

"The coverage that the Toronto Star gave on Sunday was just absolutely phenomenal. We really, really appreciated it," he said, praising the work of Star correspondent Mitch Potter and photographer Rick Madonik, both of whom are in southern Afghanistan.

I agree 100% with Mr. Greene.  The Toronto Star is usually a leftist agitprop paper but their coverage of recent Afganistan events (including the article above) has been outstanding and very supportive.  Bravo.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/canada/national/2006/03/14/greene060314.html

Soldier struck by axe back in Vancouver
Last Updated Tue, 14 Mar 2006 22:21:34 EST
CBC News
A Canadian soldier who was critically injured in an axe attack in Afghanistan arrived in Vancouver on Tuesday.

Capt. Trevor Greene, 41, was taken from an air ambulance flight from the U.S. military hospital in Germany, to the neurological unit of a hospital in Vancouver.

His father, Richard Greene, said his son has been showing signs of improvement, including opening and blinking his eyes, and moving his legs.

"That apparently has some significance, and we believe it (does.) We're confident he'll recover completely," said Greene, who had been at his son's beside in Germany, reading and talking to him.

"He's just received great care."

Lt.-Col. Rob Roy McKenzie of the Seaforth Highlanders said Greene's condition is "serious, but stable.

"His vital signs are stable and he handled the flight very well."

The soldier was attacked with an axe to the head after he sat down for a meeting with village elders about 60 kilometres north of Kandahar. Greene and another officer had removed their helmets and set down their arms as a gesture of trust.

Soldiers fired at the attacker, killing him instantly.

I think it's telling t hat the villagers knew about the attack, or that something was about ot happen and did nothing.  The villagers most likely believed such a ction was still in their best intrests. Hopefully, with  the ongoing operation and others like it the troops will deemonstrate to the Afghanis that they can be relied upon for fairness and chasing down the Taliban. This has been the case in other areas the Canadians have been working. IIRC it was the Afghanis who pointed out a car rigged with a dozen 155 rounds  set to go off when the horn was honked. The longer we're there I'm sure the smoother things will go.

commonsense..... to be realistic, if the villagers had given the show away to the Cdn troops, the bad guys could/would have opened fire on all of them.

Living in a land of reprisals is not always in black & white.

Regulator

Your opinion on this matter doesn't amount to much,... You where not there, You don't know what it was all about and YOU and your opinion would undoubtably F*** things up and made the situation worse had you been there. I know the pers that where there, both to conduct the sura (spelling) and providing the close security, being in the same platoon as them, and even though I didn't get to the site till after the event unfolded I still trust in their abilities at their worse so till you are here and have something to back your useless opinion, don't comment on the actions of others!

Teflon,

I already came down on him and others in regard to the nit picking of the actions of the troops on the ground.

Thanks for weighing in.    ;)

Regards

Teflon said:
Regulator

Your opinion on this matter doesn't amount to much,... You where not there, You don't know what it was all about and YOU and your opinion would undoubtably F*** things up and made the situation worse had you been there. I know the pers that where there, both to conduct the sura (spelling) and providing the close security, being in the same platoon as them, and even though I didn't get to the site till after the event unfolded I still trust in their abilities at their worse so till you are here and have something to back your useless opinion, don't comment on the actions of others!

Are you refering to me?  Or the other regulator....because if it is the other poster please refer to him as "Moe"....

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
Are you refering to me?  Or the other regulator....

dileas

tess

The other one    ;)

Regards

To prevent any more possible confusion, my previous comment was meant towards regulator12, My computer time over here is limited and the computers slow so I neglected to go back and get his/her full nick name. Apoligies for any confusion that might of caused (ie: the 48th regulator)

Take Care :warstory:

Whew,

No worries brother,

Take care and Stay safe.

dileas

tess

p.s,

Refer to that other "regulator" as Moe...did I mention that?

Hey Sure call me MOE???? whatever, never tryed to offend you there Teflon or anyone else just had an opinion and i got summed up and didn't argue with you guys...Never disputed that you guys did a good job over there just brought up a point that maybe something went wrong don't need to get bent around the Axel about it, some people sure take criticism really the wrong way.....keep up the good work.....

Good Evening everyone
just read this update
VANCOUVER -- A Canadian soldier who suffered severe head wounds in an axe attack in Afghanistan has gone from a drug-induced coma to quipping with nurses about his beer-drinking skills, according to his wife.

The recovery of Capt. Trevor Greene, a civil-military co-operation officer, after the incident on March 4 is detailed in a blog by Debbie.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/national/story.html?id=a09613e5-1da0-4c5c-b183-dec1b07cc797&k=42444

That's great news granny.....glad to hear it.

Regards

Now that he's on the mend, he can joke to the nurses about how he "parts" his hair (JK)

Kidding asside  - it's great that his sense of humour is back on net.
will gladly buy him his 1st (case)

CHIMO!

Back