• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

Do you think maybe Trudeau wants Canada out of NATO so Canada doesn't get drug into a seemingly inevitable WW3 with Russia?

He seems so focused on Climate that a world war would just get in the way of his saving the world by carbon taxing us to death.

I don't have any clue what's involved in dropping out of NATO but it's likely easier to get kicked out than to leave.

I guess with all the talk of Canada being in hot water at NATO I thought I had heard we were at risk of being kicked out. My Apologies.

A dozen subs is a pretty good indication that Trudeau is listening to NATO. We'll just have to see if it's a virtue signal or not...

Do you think maybe Trudeau wants Canada out of NATO so Canada doesn't get drug into a seemingly inevitable WW3 with Russia?

He seems so focused on Climate that a world war would just get in the way of his saving the world by carbon taxing us to death.

I don't have any clue what's involved in dropping out of NATO but it's likely easier to get kicked out than to leave.
Voluntary departure would be political death for the party controlling Parliament.

The Netherlands just selected the Shortfin-Barracuda as the replacement for the Walrus class, and it's a conventional development of an existing nuclear sub. And the Type 212CD is under construction and is a development of an existing design. So the European designs aren't necessarily out of consideration just yet.
But the key wording, at least to me, is the part of ‘under Arctic ice’, which of those conventional subs actually have the capability today? I didn’t think any of them do.

But the key wording, at least to me, is the part of ‘under Arctic ice’, which of those conventional subs actually have the capability today? I didn’t think any of them do.
Under ice can just mean endurance, breaking through ice is a different story

The only country that left NATO was France, and they went back in.

NATO seems like an indicator to how the CAF (and Canada by extension) is still relevant.

As others have mentioned, voluntarily leaving NATO is political suicide, and there’s no way we’re getting kicked out.

Under ice can just mean endurance, breaking through ice is a different story
I agree with that but pulling on the string further, under ice endurance to go west to east or east to west completely under ice? Could a sub have that capability but not have the ability to punch through the ice if required due to an emergency or other need?
I don’t know if you could safely have one without the other.
Also, if this does occur, the under ice capability, I would think we’ll need to spends millions and millions and number of years to create, improve and update all of our sea charts in the arctic to make this possible.

I agree with that but pulling on the string further, under ice endurance to go west to east or east to west completely under ice? Could a sub have that capability but not have the ability to punch through the ice if required due to an emergency or other need?
I don’t know if you could safely have one without the other.
Also, if this does occur, the under ice capability, I would think we’ll need to spends millions and millions and number of years to create, improve and update all of our sea charts in the arctic to make this possible.
212CD subs have six ordered and are delivering between 29-35 right now. If we were to wait in line we wouldn't get new subs for 12 years minimum. If the Norwegians or Germans were willing to move their production line around we might get one in 32 (say one of the two nations defer theirs to later). The TKMS bid for the Netherlands project did offer a 212CD Expeditionary submarine (same sub, longer with more legs) and they said they could deliver it 2031

Korea is currently producing KSS III block 2 submarines and would be able to deliver 2029/30 if we were to order now.

Netherlands (variant of the Barracude from the French) submarine orders are arriving between 2032 and 2037

C71 from Sweden isn't in production so one might be able to jump on those right away and get submarines delivered in 2-5 years (2028-30).

Japan and Spain are also currently producing submarines and depending on negotiations they may let us jump the que for some subs sooner then later.

Neither. Arctic approaches (as stated by the CRNC in his recent interview with the US Naval Institute) are the goal here.

So we're looking in Baffin Bay and the Beaufort Sea. So leave Halifax and take up position at the Eastern entrance to NWP or leave Victoria and do the same at the Western Entrance. And go all over in the summer.

So, to summarize, in terms of the arctic, we’ll get a vessel that has the same calendar range as an AOPS but it can go under water and has the ability to reach out and slap someone, like hard.

Korean, Japanese, German, French, and Swedish. the RFI is going to be key, many companies are already gunning for this program, but if government says it has to be an existing design the europeans are likely out.
If you read the release that issue has been covered. We are after a unique combination therefore by inference, a custom design so everyone is able to apply. The firm that offers greatest payback either the liberal coffers or Quebec industries will win regardless.

Canada’s new fleet will need to provide a unique combination of these requirements to ensure that Canada can detect, track, deter and, if necessary, defeat adversaries in all three of Canada’s oceans while contributing meaningfully alongside allies and enabling the Government of Canada to deploy this fleet abroad in support of our partners and allies.

If you read the release that issue has been covered. We are after a unique combination therefore by inference, a custom design so everyone is able to apply. The firm that offers greatest payback either the liberal coffers or Quebec industries will win regardless.
CRNC is stating that it will be a true MOTS purchase. The sub fleet will adjust to the new submarines, not the other way around. Your bitterness is noted however and I'll wait out to see how the program develops.

Back