• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Justin Trudeau hints at boosting Canada’s military spending

I will take "Chynical shit" for 12 billion Alex!!! (Sean Connery)
In my case it is cynicism. I have listened to government promises all the way back to a "life means life" statement made and have followed the empty rhetoric from there so forgive me if I hope that what I hear is true but will only believe it when the first delivery occurs.

So...Canada firmly committed in 2014, and have backslid since then. How mnay times since then has this government committed to increasing, only to later prevaricate.

NATO sees Canada as a country, not a Trudeau Liberal government. The Trudeau government (he is the only real decider) has never understood that - in fact they refuse to consider it, so vainglorious, arrogant, and tone-deaf are they.

Canada made the commitment in 2014 and the country is being held to account.

detective id GIF by Investigation Discovery

2% by 2032. No real plan on how we get there, but the "commitment" to do so is something, I suppose.

From the linked article:
Following a blizzard of criticism from allies — most notably the United States — the Liberal government announced Thursday that it hopes to meet NATO's military investment benchmark of two per cent of alliance members' gross domestic products by 2032.
"Hope is not a strategy"

So...Canada firmly committed in 2014, and have backslid since then. How mnay times since then has this government committed to increasing, only to later prevaricate.

NATO sees Canada as a country, not a Trudeau Liberal government. The Trudeau government (he is the only real decider) has never understood that - in fact they refuse to consider it, so vainglorious, arrogant, and tone-deaf are they.

Canada made the commitment in 2014 and the country is being held to account.
I'm not sure the highlighted bit is 100% accurate. I think then Prime Minister Harper said, in Wales, that 2% was an "aspirational goal."

They already went 6 months without aid from the US. Who knows whats going to happen if Trump becomes President again? Ukraine should be prepared and the rest of NATO should be prepared to step up.
Given the stakes, I hope there's an executive order or similar drafted to shift whatever US equipment stocks can be spared to Ukraine should Trump win.

Trump thinks he’s smarter than Putin, and that he can handle him. I’m not sure that is true…

I see a major conflict erupting when Putin doesn’t listen to Trump, and Trump won’t back down.

The question is when will that happen, not if…

Trump thinks he’s smarter than Putin, and that he can handle him. I’m not sure that is true…

I see a major conflict erupting when Putin doesn’t listen to Trump, and Trump won’t back down.

The question is when will that happen, not if…

It will be a matter of a redline and if anyone blinks. If I were to guess today, soon after Trump assumes office there is a cease to hostilities with both sides holding firm. After negotiations (promises, offerings, blustering and threats of a bigger red button) Russian agrees to pulls back somewhat but not all the way. A UN patrolled zone of separation is established. Trudeau jumps at the chance to commit Canadian troops to a UN "peace keeping" mission, but Canada's participation is refused due to it's material support to war effort of one side.

It will be a matter of a redline and if anyone blinks. If I were to guess today, soon after Trump assumes office there is a cease to hostilities with both sides holding firm. After negotiations (promises, offerings, blustering and threats of a bigger red button) Russian agrees to pulls back somewhat but not all the way. A UN patrolled zone of separation is established. Trudeau jumps at the chance to commit Canadian troops to a UN "peace keeping" mission, but Canada's participation is refused due to it's material support to war effort of one side.

Back